Search for departments, programs, people and more...

How to Apply

How to Apply

We encourage you to apply for Veterans benefits on line using the Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP).

After successfully applying on line, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs. Please submit a copy of your certificate along with the Veterans Affairs Request for Certification Form to our office in 231 South Hall. You may do so via fax at 570-662-4136 or scan a copy to Required paperwork that must be returned to the MU VA office.

Required Paperwork:

These forms must be submitted to the Veteran Certifying Official:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility
  2. DD214 -Military Discharge documents – from all periods of service (active, reserve or guard)
  3. Form 2384 - Notice for Basic Eligibility from reserve unit if applicable
  4. Course Schedule - for the semester you are requesting your benefits
  5. MU VA Request for Certification form for the current academic year
  6. Any other supporting documents that may assist us in establishing your VA benefits

*Mansfield University’s Certifying Official will complete the electronic 22 - 1999 Enrollment Certification which is then submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office in Buffalo.

Check in monthly through WAVE.

WAVE Program

Veterans receiving Montgomery GI Bill Benefits through Chapters 30, 1606 or 35, can use WAVE to submit monthly verifications.

Why should I use WAVE?

WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. You can check on the status of your record and report changes in your enrollment directly to the VA.

How do I use WAVE?

Go to WAVE and follow the log-in instructions.

What else can I do on WAVE?

You can find out the following:

1. Has my request for benefits been processed? Select "Benefit Status Information" to see if the VA has updated your record to show your current enrollment.

2. Has my monthly verification gone through? You can see if your verification has been processed, including changes in your enrollment.

3. Can I start or change my direct deposit? You can use WAVE to submit your direct deposit information. This information is sent to the Direct Deposit Center for processing.

4. Can the VA send me a reminder to do my monthly verification? If you choose, WAVE will e-mail you a reminder to verify at the first of the month and again mid-month if you still need to verify.

5. Can I Still Use the Phone? Yes. Just dial 877-823-2378 and follow the instructions given.