The Student Domicile regulations relating to PA residency for tuition purposes are defined by the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Board of Governors. These regulations, along with types of evidence to submit as proof of residency are referenced in the PASSHE Board of Governors Student Domicile Regulations Policy 1985-03. (to read this policy, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed).

Mansfield University has instituted a policy that grants New York State residents a reduced out-of-state undergraduate tuition rate (Good Neighbor). New York residency requirements follow the same basic criteria used in determining Pennsylvania residency.

Students who want to change their residency status to Pennsylvania or Good Neighbor must apply through the Controller's Office. They will be required to fill out the Residency Classification Data Collection Form and submit it to: Lori Cass, Registrar, 224 South Hall. This form must be notarized to be valid. Copies of all proof of PA residency should be attached to this form when it is submitted. A determination will be made in writing within 45 working days after receiving the complete package of information. The effective date of reclassification will be stated in the letter.

Any student may challenge Mansfield University's initial determination of his/her domicile. If after reading the Board of Governors Policy 1985-03, Student Domicile Regulations, you feel you qualify for Pennsylvania or Good Neighbor tuition rates, you must complete the State System of Higher Education Residency Classification Data Collection Form. If the student is not satisfied with the decision made by Mansfield University, he/she may appeal the decision in writing to the Office of the Chancellor, State System of Higher Education, Dixon University Center, 2986 N. Second St., Harrisburg, PA 17110 within 30 days from the date when the decision was mailed. The decision of the Chancellor is considered final.

A student who changes domicile from Pennsylvania to another state must promptly give written notice to the University. In the event the University believes a student is no longer a Pennsylvania resident, the University may reclassify the student's tuition rate. This determination can be challenged under the procedures described above.

If you need to talk to someone about your particular residency situation please schedule an appointment to make sure someone will be available to assist you. You can also contact Lori Cass, directly by e-mail or by calling (570) 662-4873.


Please see some Frequently Asked Questions regarding residency determination for tuition purposes.

Quick Links