How do I qualify for financial aid?

Eligibility for federal, state and institutional financial aid is determined by a student's annual filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Mansfield University's priority deadline for filing these forms is April 15.

What forms do I have to fill out? 

As stated above, you need to complete the FAFSA.

How do I complete the FAFSA? Is there a paper application or is it online?

Both options are available, depending upon your comfort level. The online version is encouraged because it results in less errors and a faster processing time. To complete the form online, click on this link: FAFSA. If you want a paper application, they are available by calling the Financial Office at 570-662-4129.

I've heard I need an FSA ID if I complete the FAFSA online. How do I get one? 

Online applicants (and their parents if applicable) must request a Federal Student Aid ID online at www.fsaid.ed.gov.

What is the income cut-off for financial aid?

There is no income cut-off for financial aid. The amount of financial aid you will receive is determined by your family's financial need as calculated by your annual FAFSA

What is Mansfield's Title IV School code?


What types of Financial Aid are available through Mansfield University? 

Available financial aid at Mansfield University includes grant, loan and employment programs such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Pennsylvania State Grant, Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan, and Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students. In addition, a variety of scholarship opportunities are made available to students.

How can I be an independent student?

In order to be considered independent for federal and state purposes, you must meet one of the criteria listed in step THREE of the FAFSA.

How and when will I know how much financial aid I am eligible for?

A new student who files the FAFSA in a timely manner can expect to receive a Shopping Sheet in the spring. The Shopping Sheet will indicate eligibility for specific financial aid programs. Upper class students can expect to view their Shopping Sheet on WebAdvisor soon after the completion of the spring semester provided the FAFSA was filed prior to May 1st.

Are there any other forms I have to fill out besides the FAFSA?

Students who are selected for verification by the Department of Education will be asked to submit tax returns and a Verification Worksheet to the Financial Aid Office at Mansfield University.

On occasion, the Financial Aid Office may require additional information from a student. When this is the case, the Financial Aid Office will notify the student what is needed for completion. It is critical that all forms sent to the student are completed in full and returned to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible to avoid processing delays. For convenience, the forms are available on the Forms Page.

Also, students that apply for Federal Loans will be required to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and loan entrance counseling on the www.studentloans.gov once the loan is certified.

New students to Mansfield University are required to complete a Student Title IV Authorization Form prior to any financial aid funds being disbursed to their student account

Parents and/or graduate students that apply for the Federal PLUS Loan will need to complete a MPN also. The PLUS application can be completed online at www.studentloans.gov.

What if the information about income and assets on my FAFSA application does not reflect my family's ability to pay for my education? For example, what if one of my parents has lost their job?

The FAFSA will collect income information from the prior tax year. Thus, if your family experiences a decrease in income, it will not be reflected on your application. If you feel you have a special circumstance that affects your ability to pay, please go to Forms and Policies and complete the Special Circumstances Form. In order to process your special condition request, you must complete the form in full and submit all required documentation. Incomplete forms with insufficient documentation will not be processed.

How do I apply for student loans? 

If you are a new student at Mansfield University and have never borrowed a student loan, Mansfield University will pre-certified a Federal Direct Student Loan for you. You should complete the application process by completing an Entrance Interview and signing the Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at www.studentloans.gov.

Students attending Mansfield University only need to complete and sign the MPN once; therefore, if you are a returning student, your student loans are processed annually unless you notify the Financial Aid Office that you do not want the loan.

How can I manage and obtain information on all my student loans?

All students that have borrowed a Stafford Student Loan at Mansfield University are encouraged to manage their loans online at AES/PHEAA Account Access. Those who have borrowed a Direct loan while at Mansfield University are encouraged to manage those loans online at www.studentloans.gov.

I still don't have enough financial aid. Are there any more options? 

Private loans are available through a variety of lenders. For information on private loans, visit the Private Education Loan page.

Students are also encouraged to pursue private grant and scholarship funding. Information can be found on the Links page.

Who do I call if I need help with applying for financial aid?

You may speak to a staff member in the Financial Aid Office by calling 570-662-4129. You may also e-mail us.

Federal School Code