Summer 2015 Financial Aid

Returning MU Students

It is necessary to have a 2014-2015 FAFSA on file, a Direct Loan MPN/Entrance Counseling session completed, and be registered for a minimum of 6 credits for student loans or 3 credits for a Pell Grant. Private alternative loans are also available for summer.

Please go to for a list of alternative loan lenders.

Please remember, if you are not making academic progress at the end of the academic year you cannot use federal aid, including student loans, to make up that credit shortfall. You will need to use personal funds or an alternative private loan.

New Students

New students must:

  1. File the 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at
  2. Be registered for at least 3 credits to qualify for the Pell Grant, 6 credits for a Federal Student Direct Loan.
  3. Complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling session by going to

Complete instructions for completing Direct Loan paperwork can be found on the Student Registration and Financial Services website at

Types of Financial Aid for Summer:

PELL Grant

You will automatically be awarded a Pell Grant for summer if you qualify.

PA State Grant

You may apply for a summer PA State Grant if you will attempt a combined total of at least six (6) credit hours during the summer and are enrolled for summer I and summer II or the full summer session. PHEAA state grant funds are typically not delivered until July and will not show as approved aid on your student account until an award notice is received from PHEAA. You must complete the summer PA State Grant application online at Under "Most Popular Places" on the PHEAA homepage, click “PA State Grant Program”,  then click “Summer State Grant”. Deadline is August 15. You will be notified by PHEAA after June 1 if you qualify.  You will not receive separate award notification from Mansfield University for the PHEAA state grant. Maximum eligibility is eight (8) full semesters of the state grant. If you receive a state grant in the summer, you may exhaust your PA state grant eligibility before the end of your program.

Federal Student Loans

You may apply for a Federal Student Loan for summer if you will attempt at least six (6) credit hours (five for graduate students) IN A SESSION and have not reached your annual or aggregate (combined total) limit.

Annual limits

  Dependent Independent
(or Dependent w/PLUS denial)
0-29 credits completed
30-59 credits completed
60+ credits completed

Federal Student Loan eligibility for summer is affected by the amount of Federal Student loans you received during the fall 2014 and spring 2015 semesters. If you have received your annual limit during fall and spring, you will NOT be eligible for a Federal student loan for summer with the following EXCEPTIONS: IF you have advanced from Freshman to Sophomore, or Sophomore to Junior status during the academic year, you may be eligible for the increase to your annual limit. Or, IF you will be graduating in summer or fall of this year, you may qualify for a summer loan even if you have reached your annual limit.

Loan funds will not be received until after the close of add/drop for the period in which you meet the six-credit eligibility. This could mean you will not have a refund until late into summer. If you need books or living expenses, you will need to make alternate arrangements until your refund is available.

Federal PLUS Loans

Parents of dependent students may apply for the Federal Parent PLUS loan or Graduate Students may apply for the Federal Grad PLUS loan for summer costs. You must be enrolled in 6 credits (5 credits for grad students) IN A SESSION to meet the half-time eligibility requirement for the PLUS loan for that session. 

Private Student Loans

If you do not qualify for Federal student loans or if you need additional funding for summer, you may want to apply for a private student loan. Since private loans are subject to credit approval, you may need a co-signer for a private loan.

Private Student Loan Regulations

Federal Regulations require private education loan borrowers to submit to the lender a “Self-Certification” form at the time of application. Also, private education loan funds cannot be disbursed until borrowers and co-borrowers accept the “Approval Disclosure” your lender is required to provide to you. If you don’t comply with both of these new requirements, you will not receive the loan funds. (Please go to the Student Registration and Financial Services web page and click “Loans and Grants” to find the link to learn more about Private/Alternative Loans.)